Saturday, August 05, 2006

Tagged

Dear readers, sometime last week my blog passed the six month mark. It has been lots of fun blogging, especially seeing the comments, but I'm running out of things to say about neonatology and the social aspects of it, or whatever this blog is about. So today I'm just giving notice that sometimes from now on I'll stray from the medical subject field. I'll still write mostly about things related to neonatology and pediatrics, but now and then I might throw in a political post, or tell you about a good book or meal, or whatever. I hope you're not too disappointed.

For today's post, I have been tagged by ex utero, aka Dr. Phillip Gordon, who writes fiction and non-fiction over on his tales from the womb blog. It would be rude of me not to play, and hey, it gives me something to write about.

One book that changed my life: The Catcher in the Rye. I know, others have used this too, but if you read it at the right age - say, 15 or so - it was really, really good. I re-read it a couple of years ago, and it didn't seem nearly as relevant.

One book I've read more than once: All By Myself, by Mercer Mayer. I read this to my kids over and over. Actually, I could have chosen any number of kids' books. Nowadays, I don't have any little ones to read to, which has advantages and disadvantages. As Carly Simon said, these are the good old days.

One book I would want on a desert island (besides How to Build An Ocean Going Boat for Dummies): The Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro. My favorite book.

One book that made you laugh: Julie and Julia, written by a young woman who sets out to make every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering The Art of French Cooking.

One book that made you cry: I honestly can't think of a book that made me cry.

One book I wish had been written: Things You should Know at Age 25 That You Don't Learn Until Age 40 or So. Doesn't everybody wish they could have a few do-overs?

One book I wish had never been written: I might take a little flak for this, but I'm going to say the Koran. I apologize to any moderate and thoughtful Muslim readers, but it just seems to me that radical Islamic fundamentalists are causing all kinds of trouble in this world.

One book I am currently reading: Everything Is Illuminated, by Jonathon Safran Foer. It's hilarious in some parts, pretty boring in others.

One book I am meaning to read: The Memory Keeper. I don't know who it's by, but I saw it at Border's and it looks pretty interesting. It's about a guy who gives away a twin with Down syndrome at birth.

Five people to tag: Hmmm.....

1. Fat Doctor
2. Paedsrn of Mediblogopathy. Welcome back, buddy. Try to stay out of trouble.
3. Dream Mom
4. Surgeon in my Dreams of Medicine, Animals, and a Dream
5. Any one who feels like playing!

11 Comments:

Blogger Ex Utero said...

I have to say that memes can get out of hand but this one is very enlightening. I think you can tell a lot about a person by what the read (or at least what they report they read).

And I don't think your readership will change one bit if you broaden your topic range. You've developed a voice on this blog site and that as much as anything is what keeps readers like me coming back for more.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to give you "anti-flak" for your comment on the Koran...I come from a strict Muslim background and agree with you 100%. If people (both in the middle east and in all other parts of the world) could learn to live for the present insead of the scriptures of the past we'd all be in a better world.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"One book I am currently reading: Everything Is Illuminated, by Jonathon Safran Foer. It's hilarious in some parts, pretty boring in others."

After you're done, see the premium movie. It was great. Sad, but great.

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, The Memory Keepers Daughter - I just got done with it. Good book, I recommend you pick it up next time you're at the bookstore!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Fat Doctor said...

I was already tagged by Moof and posted my answers a couple of days ago. By the way, I love the neonatology stuff, I mean REALLY love it, but I think it's fun to get to know a writer better through various posts about odd minutiae of daily life. Go for it!

2:47 PM  
Blogger PaedsRN said...

Challenge accepted. Trying valiantly to stay out of trouble.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Surgeon In My Dreams said...

Gosh...I haven't been tagged since I was nine. I will respond on my site - hopefully today (Monday)-

I agree with THAT GIRL- I enjoy your writing style and your personality that comes through. I love medicine, but the understanding comes from the author.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading all the Mercer Meyer books to my son when he was small. What a great memory you gave me today!

11:55 AM  
Blogger neonataldoc said...

Thanks, everyone, for the very nice comments. They make me look forward to blogging for the next six months. And Krystal, thanks for telling us the correct title of The Memory Keeper's Daughter.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Clark Bartram said...

You should definately expand your range of topics. My blog has changed a great deal and has only gained readership with inclusion of a broader range of topics.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...The Koran because "Islamic fundamentalists" cause trouble? The same could be said for Christian Extremists and the Bible, no?

2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home